Government News Index
site index   HOME
PM flags new battle fronts
By IAN McPHEDRAN
Daily Telegraph
13mar02
AUSTRALIA is preparing to send troops beyond Afghanistan to fight the war against terrorism.

Prime Minister John Howard yesterday warned there could be more Australian casualties and he did not rule out troops moving to new fronts in the war.
"There could be other lives lost – we're involved in a real military action," Mr Howard told Government MPs.
According to military sources, US planners are preparing for an assault on terrorist cells in Somalia and Yemen.
Neither country has a legitimate government and both are known to harbour members of the al-Qaeda network.
The army has another 150 soldiers from the Perth-based Special Air Service Regiment ready to rotate.
Other special forces troops and infantry are ready to deploy at short notice.
A solemn Mr Howard told a meeting of Coalition members yesterday the Government could be asked to extend its contribution to the war on terror.
"If any such request was forthcoming, then it would be looked at on its own merits at the time," a spokesman quoted him as saying.
Mr Howard told his colleagues he had spoken to Kylie Russell, the widow of SAS Sergeant Andrew Russell killed in Afghanistan by a land mine.
Marking six months since the September 11 terrorist attacks on the US, President Bush singled out Australia and the SAS.
"Last month Sergeant Andrew Russell of the Australia SAS died in Afghanistan.
"He left behind his wife Kylie and their daughter Leisa, just 11 days old," he said.
"Friends said of Sergeant Russell, 'You could rely on him never to let you down'. This young man and many like him have not let us down."
Index